Friday 15 July 2011

NYC Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder


Price: £2.99 from Amazon (plus £2.29 packaging)

Website: New York Color

Colour: Translucent

Rating: * * * * *

I'd spent months looking for a makeup that would match my skintone and wouldn't make me look too orange and cakey. After enduring this frustration and spending a small fortune, I finally found what I was looking for in the form of a cheap powder recommended by someone on Yahoo! Answers.

The name New Yok Color instantly made me think that this product would only be available in America and so I logged on to trusty Amazon to find it (it was actually the first thing I ever bought off the internet). I later found that it was available in Superdrug at a cheaper price (£2.49) @_@

Upon opening the package and seeing the product for the first time, I instantly knew that it was the right shade for me. I am very, very, very pale skinned, so near white makeup will suit me perfectly. This product is only available in two shades - translucent and natural beige. I use translucent for my pale skin, although it could suit darker skinned people as it really is translucent and is perfect for setting makeup. I use a bit more so that the colour will show through, but it does not make my face look cakey, which gains it one star.

Something that has been highlighted in other reviews that I didn't pick up on straight away was the cheapness of the container. The lid is made from a flimsy black plastic that slides on and off rather that screws on. This product is not suitable for travelling with as it will pop open and spill all over your bag.
Remove the lid and you will find a cheap sponge that is not suitable for applying loose powder. However, I still keep it as it stops the powder from gushing out if the container is accidentally tipped upside down.
Under the sponge is a filter kind of thing with waaaaaaaaaaay too many holes. I tipped the container upside down to get some of the powder out, took off the lid and ended up with a pile of powder in my lap. -__________- To combat this, I covered all but two holes with some sticky-back plastic.

The powder itself is very light and nice to work with; it's so light you can actually forget it's on your face! It does make your skin feel smoother and it does give you a matt finish, however it doesn't last as long as I would have liked it to (duh, it's a powder, it rubs off) and due to the total crappiness of the packaging, it can't be taken with you for top ups on the go. It has been suggested that I should buy the compact powder for when I'm travelling, but I haven't got round to that yet. When I do, I will be posting a review immediately.
NYC Smooth Skin Loose Face Powder is, above anything else, brilliant for setting makeup. You don't need to go OTT with foundation just to get that matt finish anymore, because this powder will complete your look with less. I actually just use a cheek stain, concealer and this powder nowadays as I CAN'T FIND A FOUNDATION TO MATCH MY SKIN TONE! >_<
I definitely recommend this product to anyone who is struggling to find a shade for their pale skin. At £3.00 tops, it really is one of those buys you wish you'd discovered earlier.

7 comments:

  1. heyhey lovely,
    omg i must say, that i love your blog and i follow you of course now on bloglovin <333333
    lots of love my dear. <3

    www.thebeadayse.blogspot.com

    kind regarts!!!

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you found something that matches your pastey skin tone...ha. FYI, I am a super pale girl too (blue eyes, natural blonde though have red hair now) so I can feel your pain. I'm definitely going to check this out

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ayse thankyou very much!

    @Christina I'm a blue eyed, blonde haired girl naturally, too. But my hair's not quite red, more gingery orange now. I don't mind, I love the colour ginger, haha ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mum has this but wont let me use it =(

    http://emilydavila.blogspot.com/ : please follow
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! It works even on my dark skin! To make it travel friendly I bought a sifter jar from Costal Scents and it allows me to use it when im traveling without worry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah the packaging definitely leaves something to be desired! It's incredibly messy and I think I'll try your method of covering up some of the holes in the dispenser area...I almost got powder on my lap as well when I tipped the container over XD

    Thanks for your review!

    geekypinkness.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this review and bought the product immediately! I completely agree with you and my face feels so, so, so soft when i apply this powder to set my foundation. I, too, have extremely pale skin and i find it really hard to find a foundation light enough for my pale skin tone. May i suggest you try Rimmel Match Perfection foundation in Light Poreclain and GOSH's X-ceptional wear foundation or CC cream in porcelain, they are perfect for anyone with really pale skin and are generally great foundations.

    ReplyDelete